I’m more like Martha than Mary.
I like the idea of entertaining, but preparations make me anxious. And really, can you imagine inviting someone into your home without offering something to eat or drink?
There is work to be done when you have guests.
A woman named Martha let Jesus stay at her house. Martha had a sister named Mary, who was sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to Him teach. But Martha was busy with all the work to be done. She went in and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me alone to do all the work? Tell her to help me.”
But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things.” Luke 10:38–41
And I’ll admit, I’ve had a time or two (maybe more) where I’ve felt a little sorry for myself when I’m in the kitchen working while everyone else enjoys themselves in the other room.
I’m more like Martha than Mary.
Maybe you are too.
But I’m learning to be more like Mary. I want that which will never be taken away. The blessings of sitting at Jesus’ feet.
18 Important Blessings to be Found at Jesus’ Feet
1. Truth – If you have questions and life seems complicated and confusing . . . Jesus spoke God’s unchanging absolute truth. A truth that is unchanging. Truth on which we can depend.
Jesus said, “I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.” John 18:37
2. Forgiveness – If you feel like you’ve failed big time . . . no matter what, no matter how bad through Jesus, you and I have a clean slate. Every failure, every deliberate sin removed . . . forgiven.
Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Luke 7:48
3. Rest – If you’re tired and overwhelmed by problems . . . You can lean on Jesus to help you carry the burden. He will help you.
“Come to me, all of you who are tired and have heavy loads, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
4. Grace – If life is hard and you don’t know where to turn . . . through Jesus’ amazing sacrifice you have a restored relationship with God . . . undeserved love – amazing grace.
Since we have been made right with God by our faith, we have peace with God. This happened through our Lord Jesus Christ, who through our faith has brought us into that blessing of God’s grace that we now enjoy. Romans 5:1–2
5. Mercy – If you are ever overwhelmed by guilt or afraid of punishment . . . Jesus took the punishment you and I deserve. We have nothing to fear.
Let us, then, feel very sure that we can come before God’s throne where there is grace. There we can receive mercy and grace to help us when we need it. Hebrews 4:16
6. Acceptance – If you ever feel like you don’t fit in or you’ve been rejected . . . know Jesus will always welcome you not only as a friend but as His family.
“The Father gives me the people who are mine. Every one of them will come to me, and I will always accept them.” John 6:37
7. Joy – If the state of the world or the condition of your life has you weighed down . . . Jesus wants to restore your joy and give you hope.
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” John 15:9,11
8. Hope – If the future looks bleak and you anxious for your children and grandchildren . . . Jesus has given us the end of the story. Your future is secure in Him.
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
9. Freedom – If you feel trapped and burdened trying to please everyone . . . Jesus has made you free to be who God created you to be.
The Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 1 Corinthians 3:17
10. Purpose – If you feel uncertain and you need a plan . . . Jesus knows the future and has a plan and a purpose for you.
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28
11. Peace – If you’re unsettled the battles going on around you . . . Jesus wants to give you a peace that goes beyond understanding – that the world is unable to give.
“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” John 14:27
12. Courage – If you’re afraid . . . there is courage when Jesus goes with you.
But Jesus quickly spoke to them, “Have courage! It is I. Do not be afraid.” Matthew 14:27
13. Strength – If you’re weak . . . Jesus is able to give you strength to do the impossible.
And you will know that God’s power is very great for us who believe. That power is the same as the great strength God used to raise Christ from the dead and put Him at His right side in the heavenly world. Ephesians 1:18–20
14. Salvation – If you’re grieving or afraid of death . . . Jesus gives the gift of eternal life.
Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.” John 11:25
15. Prayer – If it’s impossible to find the words to pray . . . Jesus is praying for you.
But because Jesus lives forever, He will never stop serving as priest. So He is able always to save those who come to God through him because he always lives, asking God to help them. Hebrews 7:24–25
16. Presence – If you’re lonely . . . Jesus is always with you.
“I will be with you always, even until the end of this age.” Matthew 28:20
17. Love – If you are dissatisfied with imperfect love . . . Jesus’ love for you is always and forever perfect and unfailing. He proved it on the cross.
“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13
18. One Thing Needful – If you need anything . . . Jesus Himself will meet that need. He alone is the answer.
“Only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the better thing, and it will never be taken away from her.” Luke 10:42
So, I’m choosing to sit at His feet.
Why would I want to be like Martha when I can be like Mary? I want to choose the better thing. The thing that will never be taken away. The blessings found at Jesus’ feet.
What blessings have you found at Jesus’ feet?
I always enjoy hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi’ and share your thoughts below.
If this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, coworker, or family member…
Don’t forget to leave your prayer requests…
and pray for others who have left requests.