It’s too hard.
It’s too much.
- Too much pain.
- Too much loss.
- Too much embarrassment.
- Too much emptiness.
- Too much _________.
[Tweet “What do you do when life is too hard? Too much?”]
Paul gave us an example:
I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7b–10
We don’t know what Paul’s thorn was, but we know it was difficult, it was humbling, it was painful, and it wasn’t going away.
What did he do? Let’s take a closer look at the model Paul gave us.
Practical Ways to Find the Strength to Keep Going
1. Pray – The perfect place to start. Why do we so often wait until prayer is “the only thing left to do?” God invites us to talk with Him about everything. Our blessings and our thorns. Ask God to heal and deliver. Ask Him again. And again.
2. Accept it is Something God Allowed – We live in a sin-filled world. Jesus as man knew pain and problems. His Father who loved (loves) Him perfectly allowed His suffering.
Everything that has been made in the world is weak. It is not that the world wanted it to be that way. God allowed it to be that way. Yet there is hope. 21 Everything that has been made in the world will be set free from the power that can destroy. Romans 8:20–21
3. Know He Loves You – God’s love is perfect and constant. Whatever you are going through. Whatever He has allowed comes through the filter of His love.
Through some of our worst experiences God has faithfully reminded me, “You have no idea what I have protected you from.”
For I know that nothing can keep us from the love of God. Death cannot! Life cannot! Angels cannot! Leaders cannot! Any other power cannot! Hard things now or in the future cannot! The world above or the world below cannot! Any other living thing cannot keep us away from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38–39
4. Trust His Presence – Jesus promised to leave the Holy Spirit. He promised to always be with us.
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. John 14:16
“Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. 1 Corinthians 10:13
5. Use It to Help Someone Else – We strengthen and encourage each other when we share our stories.
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 2 Corinthians 1:3–4
Some inspirational examples of people who are sharing their stories to bless others.
Kara Tippits @ Mundane Faithfulness
Shelly Hendricks @ Renewed Daily
Jen Avellaneda @ Rich Faith Rising
Please take a moment to tell us about your favorite bloggers who share the way God gives them strength to keep going.
Finally – Take Care of Yourself – Get enough rest. Eat healthy. Stay as active as possible. Do something you enjoy each day.
How has God strengthened you to keep going?
Photo Credit – BossFight.co