Do you have that blank, what in the world, should I write feeling?
You have a deadline looming and you’re out of ideas. You’ve prayed and thought and prayed some more but your typically wordy self is at a loss.
Please tell me I’m not alone.
I love writing about the ways God is at work in my life. . . . the way He’s gotten me through past struggles and given me hope for the future.
About everyday faith . . . how my relationship with God through Jesus gives me freedom, joy, patience, and peace and how I love searching the pages of the Bible for truth and wisdom.
Often the words just flow…
But once in a while, they don’t. I feel like I’ve written and rewritten the same posts and if I haven’t written it—you have.
I need help and wondered if you do too.
So, I’ve been brainstorming and writing as many ideas as I can think of to help me on those occasions when I’m at a loss for words.
Today’s prompts are on prayer. You can use them for blog post ideas or if you’re not a blogger, use them as topics for your prayer journal. However use them, here are…
Prayer -50 Prayer Prompts that will Inspire Your Writing
Prayer the Who, How, What, When, and Why…
- Why is Prayer Important to You?
- What Does the Bible Say about Prayer?
- If God Knows Everything – Why Should I Pray?
- What Does it Mean to “Pray without Ceasing?”
- How Fasting has Blessed Your Prayer Life.
- Who Taught You to Pray and What Lessons Do You Still Apply Today.
- How Having a Prayer Mentor has Blessed You.
- How Your Prayers Have Changed as You’ve Gotten Older.
- Write about a Time When God Answered Your Prayer.
- Share Advice on Why You Keep Praying When God Says No or Wait.
Think of this like reporting. Tell your story and let people in on the ways prayer impacts your life. An example from CMB – How to Put More Life in Your Prayer Life.
“The reality is, my prayers don’t change God. But, I am convinced prayer changes me. Praying boldly boots me out of that stale place of religious habit into authentic connection with God Himself.” – Lysa TerKeurst
10 Things to Pray for…
- 10 Things to Pray for Your Children
- 10 Things to Pray for Your Spouse
- 10 Things to Pray for Your Parents
- 10 Things to Pray for Your Pastor and Church Staff
- 10 Things to Pray for Your Community
This offers an endless supply of ideas. Pray for your child’s teacher, your friends, your children’s friends, your neighbors, or for someone you know who is doubting, grieving, or struggling with life. Some examples from CMB – 10 Things to Pray for Your Big Crazy Family.
“I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” – Abraham Lincoln
Verses to Pray that…
- List 5 – 7 Verses that Give You Hope
- 5 – 7 Verses to Pray that will Strengthen Your Faith
- 5 – 7 Verses to Pray when Your Heart is Broken
- 5 – 7 Verses to Pray when You Need to Forgive
- 5 – 7 Verses to Pray when Waiting is Hard
Some of my favorite posts are ones that share God’s promises with examples of how I can pray them. Many people talk about “praying Scripture” but it took me a while to understand what that meant or how to actually do it. Reading examples helped me so much. Here’s one from CMB – 5 Verses to Pray When You Need Wisdom.
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12
Prayer Journal tips…
- Why You Keep a Prayer Journal
- How to Set Up a Prayer Journal
- 10 Prayer Journal Prompts
- Prayer Journal Printables
- How a Prayer Journal is Helping You Defeat Fear and Worry
I know there have been a lot of posts written about prayer journaling but keeping a journal is personal and intimate . . . so, your tips and prompts may be the perfect thought someone needs to have a faith growing time with the Lord. An example from CMB – 10 Ways to Focus and Make Prayer More Meaningful.
“Don’t be overwhelmed . . . take it one day and one prayer at a time.” ~ Stormie Omartian
Prayer at Church…
- Why Prayer is Important for Your Church
- How Small Group Prayer has Blessed You
- When Sharing Prayer Requests Becomes Gossip
- Why You Should Replace “I’ll Pray for You” with Prayer
- The Importance of Prayer for Church Unity
Our churches, pastors, and ministry staffs need a covering of prayer. Your friends who sit in the pew near you need prayer. Visitors to your church need prayer. The spiritual battle going on around our churches is real and ongoing. AND faith families grounded in prayer are stronger against the battle. An example from CMB – 10 Ways to Love the People at Church When You Don’t Want To.
All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer. Acts 2:42
- Favorite Quotes about Prayer
- Favorite Books about Prayer
- Favorite Verses that Inspire You to Pray
- Favorite Verses for Your War Room Wall
- Favorite Bloggers who Write about Prayer
Tell people about the things that have helped your prayer life. What books inspired you? Which verses do you keep on your War Room wall? Whose blog posts make you drop to your knees? An example from CMB – Practical Help by Faithful Pray-ers that will Bless You.
“Prayer is the nearest approach to God and the highest enjoyment of Him that we are capable of in this life.” ~William Law
The Best Verses to Pray…
- When You’re Afraid
- When You’re Heartbroken
- When You Don’t Know What to Do
- When You’re Alone
- When You Need More Faith
- When You’re Ill
- When You Need Forgiveness
- When You Need to Know the Truth
- When You Need Hope
- When You Want to Worship and Thank God
Do you love digging through Scripture? Do you keep a list of verses to help when life is hard? Keep a list in your prayer journal and share it with a hurting friend. When life gets busy, when I’m feeling overwhelmed, or a friend is hurting . . . having God’s truth exactly what I need. An example from CMB – How to Pray for Someone Who is Afraid.
But each day the Lord pours His unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing His songs, praying to God who gives me life. Psalm 42:9
- A Prayer for Your Exhausted Mommy Moments
- A Prayer for Your Visit with a Sick Friend
- A Prayer for When You Don’t Know What to Pray
- A Prayer for the Country
- A Prayer to Know and Surrender to God’s Will
I remember the day I called Rev in tears saying, “I don’t know what to pray. I need you to pray with me.” When we don’t know how to put our emotions into prayer it helps when someone else has the words. If you can write the words . . . you may never know how many people you’ll bless when they can’t turn their pain into prayer. An example from CMB – A Prayer for When You Don’t Want to Surrender.
“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.” – Mother Teresa
50 Prompts Printable
Click on the Graphic for a Printable Version.
So, tell me . . . did I miss anything? What helps you when you can’t find the right words?
Leave your prayer requests…
and stop to pray one or two of the requests listed.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
I LOVE hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi’ and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below… ;