You can be happy. Really.
I haven’t always believed it. I know situations and experiences can cause temporary unhappiness, but you and I get to decide whether we’ll allow sadness to linger.
If you want to be happier, you have to be willing to make a few adjustments
25 Secrets and Quotes to Make You Happy
1. Decide you want to be happy.
“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” ~ Abraham Lincoln, President and fighter of depression.
2. Believe God loves you and wants you to have a future filled with hope.
I say this because I know what I am planning for you,” says the Lord. “I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future. Jeremiah 29:11
3. Keep a journal of your hopes, dreams, goals, and things for which you are thankful.
“May I make a suggestion, hoping it is not an impertinence? Write it down: write down what you feel. It is sometimes a wonderful help in misery.” ~ Robertson Davies
4. Eat a healthy balanced diet.
“If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it” ~Common sense
5. Move – go for a walk, dance, do yoga, play with your kids, etc.
“A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.” ~ Paul Dudley White, American Physician
6. Check something off your to-do list, better yet make it something you dread doing.
“We’re called to be faithful, to take those first difficult steps–and to leave the results up to God.” ~ Alex Harris
7. Go outside – lie under the stars, watch a sunset or sunrise, plant a flower, etc.
He lets me rest in green meadows; He leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. Psalm 23:2
8. Try something new – pick up a hobby, make a new recipe, go back to school . . . never stop learning.
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
9. Just say no – you don’t have to do it all.
“…there are often many things we feel we should do that, in fact, we don’t really have to do. Getting to the point where we can tell the difference is a major milestone in the simplification process.” ~ Elaine St. James, Living the Simple Life
10. Let it go – make peace with your past.
“Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward.” ~ C.S.Lewis
11. Accept disappointment but don’t let it define you.
“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. Stick to a budget – living with debt causes anxiety and stress.
“We might come closer to balancing the Budget if all of us lived closer to the Commandments and the Golden Rule.” ~Ronald Reagan
13. Look your best – you’ll feel better about yourself.
“Always put your best foot forward. Not to impress others, but to respect yourself.” Author Unknown
14. Keep it simple and enjoy the moment.
“There is a way to live a simple, joy-filled, peaceful life, and the key is learning to be led by the Spirit, not the traditions or expectations of men.” ~ Joyce Meyer
15. Embrace adventure – life is a grand adventure.
“Life is either a great adventure or nothing.” ~ Helen Keller
16. Tell the truth always – you’ll have less to remember.
Truth is a deep kindness that teaches us to be content in our everyday life and share with the people the same happiness. ~ Khalil Gibran
17. Get enough rest to avoid crankiness.
I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. Psalm 16:19–20
18. Do for others – happiness is impossible when you focus on yourself.
Tell them to use their money to do good. They should be rich in good works and generous to those in need, always being ready to share with others. 1 Timothy 6–18
19. Stop comparing yourself to others.
“I’m not equipped to handle what she has, both good and bad and what she has is always a package deal of both. In other words, I’ve been assigned a load I can handle.” ~ Lysa Terkeurst
20. Sing, hum, and dance – live the music.
“Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.” ~ Martin Luther
21. Say, “I love you” often.
“Making one person smile can change the world – maybe not the whole world, but their world.” ~ Everyday Life Lessons
22. Smile – even if you don’t feel like it.
“The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions – the little, soon forgotten charities of a kiss or a smile, a kind look or heartfelt compliment.” ~ Samuel Taylor Coleridge
23. Hold your head up high and stand up straight.
“Strong, solid posture is the backbone of feeling good and staying active” ~HealthandAge.com
24. Stretch your muscles.
“Stretching is an exercise, it has the same endorphin-boosting effects, improving your mood and the way you feel in general.” ~ Fitday.com
25. Forgive everyone everything.
“Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.” ~ William Arthur Ward
Bonus – Stop procrastinating now.
If you want to be happy . . . be happy. Start now.
One more thing – if you find that applying these secrets do little to increase your happiness, and there are no current circumstances causing unhappiness . . . please talk to your doctor. Depression is real. I know. I’ve been there, and I’m happy to tell you there is help and hope.
By God’s grace and with His help, I believe you and I can enjoy happiness.
“The happiness of the creature consists in rejoicing in God, by which also God is magnified and exalted.” ~ Jonathan Edwards