How Counting Your Blessings from A to Z will Make You Happier
How would you like to be happier?
Studies show a deliberate attitude of gratitude can increase happiness and when you and I express it to others or write it down, we can actually increase our levels of energy, enthusiasm, and empathy.
Sounds good, doesn’t it?
God inspired Paul to write…
In everything give thanks. This is what God wants you to do because of Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
Because of Jesus, we have everything we need and every reason to be thankful. How cool is it that He made thankfulness a way to bless us as well.
One of my favorite parts about counting my blessings is that it notices what is and for a moment forgets what isn’t.
Blessing counting doesn’t focus on what’s behind or what’s not yet . . . gratefulness lives in the present and finds the joy in today. I decided to kick off the summer season by making a list of things for which I’m thankful and one of my favorite formats for list making is to use the alphabet. So, from Answered prayer to Zest for life, I’m counting my blessings and thanking God.
How Counting Your Blessings from A to Z will Make You Happier
A – Answered Prayer
- He will answer the prayer of those in need. He will not turn from their prayer. Psalm 102:17
B – Bible
- “The Holy Scriptures are our letters from home.” ~ Augustine of Hippo
C – Children
- “Little children are God’s ongoing witness of His kingdom: a perpetual reminder of what it means to belong to the father. Children are an unspoken sermon in every home for simplicity, joy, and humility of that which makes the world worth living in. They remind us what it means to be a real Christian.” ~ Winkie Pratney
D – Deliverance through Jesus
- Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:25
E – Eternity
- From eternity to eternity I am God. No one can snatch anyone out of my hand. No one can undo what I have done. Isaiah 43:13
F – Friends and Family
- “A true friend is the greatest of all blessings.”~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld
G – God’s Grace
- God’s grace has saved you because of your faith in Christ. Your salvation doesn’t come from anything you do. It is God’s gift. Ephesians 2:8
H – Hope
- I will find my rest in God alone. He is the One who gives me hope. Psalm 62:5
I – Intimacy with Jesus
- Consider Jesus. Know Jesus. Learn what kind of Person it is you say you trust and love and worship. Soak in the shadow of Jesus. Saturate your soul with the ways of Jesus. Watch Him. Listen to Him. Stand in awe of Him. Let Him overwhelm you with the way He is. ~John Piper
J – Joy
- Happiness is caused by things that happen around me, and circumstances will mar it, but joy flows right on through trouble; joy flows on through the dark; joy flows in the night as well as in the day; joy flows all through persecution and opposition. ~Dwight L. Moody
K – Knowledge
- The Lord is the source of wisdom; knowledge and understanding come from His mouth. Proverbs 2:6
L – Laughter
- We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy. And the other nations said, “What amazing things the Lord has done for them.” Psalm 126:2
M – Music
- Music is God’s gift to man, the only art of Heaven given to earth, the only art of earth we take to heaven. ~Walter Savage Landor
N – Nature
- I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles. Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your greatness. Psalm 145:5–6
O – Originality
- The child must know that he is a miracle, that since the beginning of the world there hasn’t been, and until the end of the world there will not be, another child like him. ~Pablo Casals
P – Promises
- And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. 2 Peter 1:4
Q – Quiet
- Then my people will live in a place of peace, in safe homes, and in quiet resting places. Isaiah 32:18
R – Redemption
- The more clearly we see the infinite chasm between God’s glory and our sinful falling short thereof, the greater will be our appreciation of His grace and love in bridging that gulf to redeem us. ~Dave Hunt
S – Senses
- I go to nature to be soothed and healed and to have my senses put in order. ~John Burroughs
T – Time
- But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. 2 Peter 3:8
U – Understanding
- The Lord gives wisdom. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6
V – Victory
- For you are my hiding place; You protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory. Psalm 32:7
W – Wisdom
- Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in good judgment. Proverbs 9:10
X – eXtravagant Love
- [God] is not moody or capricious; He knows no seasons of change. He has a single relentless stance toward us: He loves us. He is the only God man has ever heard of who loves sinners. False gods–the gods of human manufacturing–despise sinners, but the Father of Jesus loves all, no matter what they do. ~Brennan Manning
Y – Yes
- For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding “Yes!” And through Christ, our “Amen” (which means “Yes”) ascends to God for His glory. 2 Corinthians 1:20
Z – Zest
- This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best.
~ William Arthur Ward
I love making alphabet lists. It’s an easy way for this easily distracted mind of mine to stay focused. And when I listing my blessings I want to stay focused.
The fun part is this time I didn’t even list things like chocolate, ice cream, or my home. So, I’m excited. I can start again with a whole new list. Now that makes me happy!
What would you put on your gratitude list?
God is so good! Thanks for joining me today in gratitude for His countless blessings.
We would love to pray for you.
You can leave your prayer requests here…
and even take a few minutes to pray over the list left by our friends.
Never Miss an Update
Leave your email address and I’ll send you a short email every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to alert you to each new devotion. Plus you’ll receive a copy of 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning
I always enjoy hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi” and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below…
Deb, this is such an encouraging post. I LOVE the photo of blackberry ice cream too! You’ve inspired me today. Visiting from #saltandlight
Gotta love berries and ice cream, right?! Thanks for stopping by and for your kindness! God’s blessings!!
This is a great idea! Perhaps I will do it during my quiet time tomorrow. It also seems like a great idea for kids.
Thanks Shannon, Yes, I believe this is great for kids too. Going through the alphabet helps me stay focused . . . which is always a challenge for my easily distracted brain. 🙂 Blessings!
This sounds like something I want to try! What a blessing YOU are.
Wow! This is a creative way of counting our blessings and when you get right down to it, each letter might give a sub-menu of blessings. I guess this is what it means to say that our heavenly Father does immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. Thanks for sharing.
Life, safety, friends and family, the Presence of my Lord around us, His generosity and grace, His protection, His love, our church and the freedom to worship unhindered, relatively good health to be able to serve the Lord, His wisdom and power to save.