They don’t know where to find peace or what it means to be just and good. They have mapped out crooked roads, and no one who follows them knows a moment’s peace. Isaiah 59:8
The above words were written by the Prophet Isaiah approximately 700 years before the birth of Christ Jesus. Yet – they seem to perfectly apply to 2015 as well.
There is nothing new under the sun. People are still looking for peace. They search path after path finding anxiety, worry, and frustration. However . . .
There is a perfect way to have and keep God’s peace. A six-fold action plan to protect and defend our sense of peace.
Six Steps to Protecting Your Personal Peace:
1. Grow in Faith – growth is slow and deliberate. It takes time . . . time in God’s Word, time with other believers, time of prayer spent quietly in the Holy Spirit’s presence.
Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:7
2. Devote Yourself to Prayer – always and about everything; talk with the Lord about the things that make you happy and the things that rob your peace.
Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. James 5:13
Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Colossians 2:4
3. Remain in God’s Love – carry His promises in your pocket; memorize or keep with you Scripture promises that remind you of how very much God loves you.
Give thanks to the God of gods. His faithful love endures forever. Psalm 136:2
How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 36:7
4. Look for Mercy – keep your eyes and heart open; notice expressions of God’s mercy in your life . . . think about His gift of forgiveness, His care, and His love.
But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15
But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. Ephesians 2:4–5
5. Give Mercy Generously– forgive, care for, and love others; nothing robs our peace like anger and un-forgiveness. Acts of love and care, and a forgiving attitude can restore tranquility.
Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Romans 12:9–10
God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Matthew 5:7
6. Keep Your Eyes on Jesus – failure to focus leads to doubt and doubt is a peace robber. Focused on Jesus you and I have courage and strength to endure even the most difficult times with a peace that goes beyond our understanding.
Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7
These six ways are promised to God’s children as things to and I can do to receive and keep the perfect peace God gives. What an amazing gift. God cares so much for His children that He tells us how to connect to His indescribable peace.
Please come back tomorrow for a list of God’s promises that give peace.