I don’t profess kitchen proficiency. For me the ideal recipe goes together in under 20 minutes, is healthy, and tastes delicious.
Not too much to ask, right?
I probably spend more time looking for recipes than I spend cooking. I’ve signed up for emails from Women’s Day, Real Simple, Bisquick, Good Housekeeping, etc.
The other day I clicked through an email to Real Simple Magazine online, and searched their Food and Recipes category called – “Meals in a Snap.”
Now that’s what I’m talking about.
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth (I will use half water to lower sodium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups barley (I may try orzo, risotto, or rice)
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (or sea) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan (I will use closer to 1 cup)
- Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.
- Add the asparagus with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.
- Remove from heat, season with the salt and pepper, and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.
The other recipe I’m looking forward to this weekend is one I won’t be making.
Rev and I will be heading to Ted Drewes for . . .
a S’more Concrete!
If you live near or visit the St. Louis area and you haven’t tried one of these amazing treats yet; let me just say – you’ll thank me. It’s fantabulous!
That’s what’s on the menu at my house this weekend.
What’s on your menu?
I would love it if you would share a link to your Pinterest Recipe Board in the comments!
Enjoy a blessing filled delicious weekend!