Adam and Eve had never experienced fear prior to that first temptation and sin.
Now, thousands of years later, we’re still struggling with those feelings more often than we’d like. Sometimes, since the arrival of the Covid virus, it feels like fear is the norm rather than the exception.
But, if it’s a given . . . if it’s simply something we have to live with, why did Jesus repeat the words “don’t be afraid” so often?
Was He just tossing around pie in the sky platitudes?
I don’t think so. Because He gave us reasons. He told us truths to give us courage and hope.
- Don’t be afraid – you are valuable to the Father. Matthew 10:31
- Don’t be afraid – take courage, I am with you. Mark 6:50
- Don’t be afraid – have faith. Mark 5:36
- Don’t be afraid – I will give you my peace. John 14:27
- Don’t be afraid – God wants to share His Kingdom with you. Luke 12:32
If I could give my younger self a do-over, I’d spend less time worried, anxious, and afraid.
Thankfully, the good news is that although I may not be able to change the past . . . I can change the future.
I can trust Jesus and live without the weight of fear and anxiety. And you can too.
What does that mean?
It means that with the Lord’s help, I will refuse to let fear be a permanent resident in my life. Thoughts that frighten are going to visit. Frightening circumstances are part of life. But God is greater than my circumstances and my anxious thoughts.
I’ve had too many times when I let fear control me but thanks be to God, I’ve also had times when the Spirit helped me experience victory over anxiety and apprehension.
God has given us the tools we need to live with victorious faith that is greater than fear and He has given us the Spirit to help us use them.
Let’s take a look at those tools and His Word…
10 Things to Do to Enjoy Freedom from Fear
- Identify your fear – Name it. Know the source and reason you’re afraid. (Psalm 94:19)
- Ask yourself if it’s true – Check the facts. Is it a reality or simply a possibility. (John 8:31–32)
- Pray about it – Ask God to remove your fear and tell Him that you will trust Him with your future. (Psalm 34:4)
- Live in the moment – you can’t control everything but the God who loves you can and does. (Jeremiah 29:11)
- Expect positive outcomes – Remember that God is able to turn even things intended to harm us into something good. (Genesis 50:20)
- Change your surroundings – Do something to redirect your thoughts. (Philippians 4:8)
- Limit fear inducers – limit your exposure to things that frighten you . . . like the news and social media. (Romans 12:2)
- Understand the source – get to know yourself and the where, what, and why of your fear. (Psalm 119:34)
- Hide God’s Word in your heart – memorize Bible verses to replace fearful thoughts. (Ephesians 6:17)
- Find a “freedom from fear” friend – Someone you can call who will encourage you with God’s love. (1 Thessalonians 5:11)
Let’s pause to pray…
A Prayer Asking God to Replace Fear
with Faith and Peace
Father, sometimes it feels like the enemy wants us to live overwhelmed by fear. It seems like he wants us to live afraid. I admit that I occasionally doubt Your love and ability to care for me. Please forgive me.
Again and again, Your Word tells me to be strong and courageous . . . to not be afraid. Repeatedly it reminds me of Your love and care. It says I am precious to You, that You are with me, that You will give me peace, and that You want me to be a part of Your Kingdom now and forever.
How can I be afraid, Lord? You cover my life with Your grace, mercy, and love. You promise that Your Spirit is with me . . . that You will give me everything I need. Your promise that Your grace is sufficient for anything I face.
I give myself to You. I lay my fear before You and ask You to replace it with faith and peace. Fill me with Your Spirit and help me hold Your promises in my heart. With Your help, I will not be afraid. Amen.
God is greater than our fear.
God is greater than our circumstances.
God is greater than anything this world can throw at us.
Remember the way many of us close the Lord’s prayer…
So, join me . . . imprint the words of Isaiah on your heart. I believe God will use them to replace fear with faith and peace.
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.Isaiah 41:10
God bless you and give you everything you need to live with faith today.
Thank you so much for joining me today.
And a thank you to BibleGateway.com for sources.
Subscribe to Counting My Blessings
Join us and receive a copy of The Faith Project & 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning. You’ll connect with thousands of other SEEKers who are being blessed by God’s love, hope, and promises.
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and He will give you everything you need.” Luke 12:31
You can also…
and take a moment to pray for someone else.
If you’d like to read and study the New Testament
in just 5 minutes a day this year head over to
5 Min. A Day N. T. Devotions
And check out our new Facebook Page/Group –
#WWGGG – What Would Give God Glory.
We’d love for you to join the movement!
Always remember – I LOVE hearing from you!
So, please take a minute to say ‘hi’ by leaving a comment.
If this article blessed or helped you today — would you please share it with someone? Send it to a friend, family member, coworker, or share it through the links below…