Verses that will Inspire and Encourage You to Glorify God
What does it mean to glorify God?
Henry Blackaby wrote:
“Will God ever ask you to do something you are not able to do? The answer is yes–all the time! It must be that way, for God’s glory and kingdom. If we function according to our ability alone, we get the glory; if we function according to the power of the Spirit within us, God gets the glory. He wants to reveal Himself to a watching world.”
And every day, I can think of countless things I am unable to do on my own. Things the Bible says God asks of you and me … things I know would be impossible without Him also giving us the counsel, courage, and comfort of His Holy Spirit.
And just to remind myself how very much I need His Spirit’s help, I decided to make a list of things the Bible says I should do … things that will glorify God.
So, from A to Z here’s a list of…
Verses to Encourage and Inspire You to Glorify God
Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. John 15:4 (NRSV)
- Father, please help me remain connected to You through Your Word, prayer, and the power of Your Spirit.
“Be still, and know that I am God!” Psalm 46:10 (NLT)
- Lord, please help me sit at Your feet, know Your heart, and trust Your will.
“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 (NLT)
- Lord, please help me bring every concern and problem to You in prayer … knowing You will give me everything I need.
Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart’s desires. Psalm 37:4 (NLT)
- May I delight in You, Lord … loving You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Live in harmony with each other. Don’t be too proud to enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don’t think you know it all! Romans 12:16 (NLT)
- Father, please give me all I need to love others in ways that glorify You.
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me. John 10:27–28 (NLT)
- Lord, it can be hard to follow You when the road ahead appears challenging. Please help me trust You to go before and behind me to keep me safe. With Your Spirit’s help … I will follow wherever You lead.
Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever. Amen. 2 Peter 3:18 (KJV)
- Father, grace is a gift I don’t deserve and I definitely don’t deserve all that You have given me in and through Jesus. Please help me grow in wisdom and knowledge that I might grow closer to Him and live for Your glory.
Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. Ephesians 4:2 (NLT)
- Lord, please keep me humble and kind … remembering that all I am and all I have is a gift from Your loving hand.
Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the Lord. Psalm 119:1 (NLT)
- Father, please help me trust and obey You always … even when I don’t believe anyone is watching.
I take joy in doing Your will, my God, for Your instructions are written on my heart.” Psalm 40:8 (NLT)
- Lord, may trusting and obeying Your will be my joy and not an obligation or burden.
I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me. Psalm 16:8 (NLT)
- Father, may I rest in the knowledge of Your sweet presence today and every day.
You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. Mark 12:30 (NLT)
- More than anything, I want to love You with all that I am, Lord. Please help me by the power of Your Holy Spirit.
Show mercy, just as your Father shows mercy. Luke 6:36 (NLT)
- Father, may I glorify You by extending the same mercy to others that You have so lovingly given to me.
You have begun to live the new life, in which you are being made new and are becoming like the One who made you. This new life brings you the true knowledge of God. Colossians 3:10 (NLT)
- Father, thank you for the new life you have given me in Jesus. May it shine Your light and give You glory.
If you love me, you will obey my commands. I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. John 14:15–16 (NLT)
- Oh, Lord, I want to obey You but I stumble and fall on my own. Thank you for the gift of Your Spirit. Please help me rely on His strength each day.
I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praises to my God as long as I live. Psalm 146:2 (NCV)
- By Your grace and with Your help, I will praise You now and forever.
Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. Psalm 62:5–6 (NLT)
- Quiet is hard in this world, Father. It’s hard to slow down and wait in faith when the world is shouting at me. When I can’t, I will trust Your all-sufficient grace to give me strength and hope.
Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38 (NLT)
- Father, I am so sorry. You have shown me countless times that Your way is better than mine. Please forgive me and give me all I need to trust You and obey.
Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. Matthew 6:33 (NLT)
- Lord, this will be my prayer every day the rest of my life … that You will help me SEEK You above all else.
Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him, and He will help you. Psalm 37:5 (NLT)
- When I SEEK You first, Lord … I can trust You to guide me and help me through Your grace, mercy, and love.
I am in them and You are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that You sent me and that You love them as much as You love me. John 17:23 (NLT)
- Father, please help me glorify You by doing all I can to honor Your prayer for unity among Your children. Forgive us and help us to love like Jesus.
But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 15:57 (NLT)
- Thank you for the victory we have in Jesus! Help me live in victory today … free of the past and confident of the future.
So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Ephesians 5:15 (NLT)
- Father, please give me the wisdom I need to live each day for You.
I will exalt you, my God and King, and praise Your name forever and ever. Psalm 145:1 (NLT)
- Lord, You are the X … the Christ (Χριστός) and I will exalt You and lift Your name high forever.
But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace-loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. James 3:17 (NLT)
- May I be humble, Father … willing to yield my will to You and to others out of love.
“I am the A and the Z,” says the Lord God, the one who is, the One who was, and the One who is coming, the Almighty. Revelation 1:8 (MSG)
- Lord Jesus, You are eternal … present before creation and You will reign forever and ever. May I live every day by Your grace and for Your glory. Amen.
A Heart Prepared to Glorify God
Whenever I’m inclined to be a little self-righteous and Pharisaical, all I have to do is pray through a list of verses I know God wants me to obey. I’m always humbled when His Spirit affirms the ways I know the Lord wants me to demonstrate my love and trust for Him and my love for others.
On my own, I will consistently fail because as Blackaby wrote, when we “function according to our ability alone, we get the glory” or maybe another way of saying it is … we take the glory.
But when you and I humbly surrender to the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives, we not only receive the counsel and courage we need to more consistently trust and obey God’s will but we are able to humbly admit our failures and share God’s grace, mercy, and love to a hurting world.
And that, my friends, is one of the best ways to Glorify God!
We would love to pray for you.
You can leave your prayer requests here…
and even take a few minutes to pray over the list left by our friends.
Never Miss an Update
Leave your email address and I’ll send you a short email every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to alert you to each new devotion. Plus you’ll receive a copy of 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning
I always enjoy hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi” and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below…
You are one amazing person. Thank you for all you do.
Thank you Deb,
Thank you for pointing out these reasons and ways to glorify God.
What a wonderful list! I am happy to share this!
I was just reading a book by Nancy Guthrie in which she says that glory is to God what brightness is to the sun or wetness is to water.
We’ve been put on this earth to put his glory on display.
Thanks for your help with that in this post!
I love praying Scripture, what better way to glorify the Lord! Thank you for sharing a beautiful post.
Wow, Deb! You’ve covered all the bases when it comes to helping us give God the glory, and not ourselves. This post today is both inspiring and a blessing!
I got out my prayer journal and wrote down this wonderful post. I started adding some of my own words and I felt the Holy Spirit helping me! What a spiritual blessing! Thank you for helping me give God the glory!
Such an extremely helpful collection of verses today. I needed to read some of those. Thank you. laurensparks.net
This was beautiful. Thanks for sharing these encouraging verses!
Thank you Deb! I have pinned to refer back to this. I love how you went through the alphabet.
How can I get rid of demons in my house
What a good question, Patricia! I believe God’s Word in the Sword of the Spirit. We can use His Word to fight the evil of the spiritual world. It’s one of the reasons I love praying Scripture. I believe you can pray God’s Word around your home asking the Holy Spirit to defeat the enemy and cleanse it for His glory! God bless you! I’m praying for you!