Everyone wants to be happy.
Some people think it’s what life is all about . . . being happy.
So, we spend our lives trying to find that person, place, or thing that will make us happy.
Solomon had something to say about this:
I observed everything going on under the sun, and really, it is all meaningless—like chasing the wind. Ecclesiastes 1:14
I’m guilty! I spent years believing babies and best friends would fulfill me and give me lasting happiness. But babies grow up and friends can be inconsistent and the things I thought would be the sources of my happiness slipped right through my fingers.
Where do you look for happiness? What’s on your list of “must-haves” to be happy?
Solomon searched everywhere, had great wealth, love, and the applause of the nation of Israel and called it all meaningless with the exception of:
Joyful is the person who finds wisdom,
the one who gains understanding.
She will guide you down delightful paths;
all her ways are satisfying.
Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her;
happy are those who hold her tightly.
My child, don’t lose sight of common sense and discernment.
Hang on to them, for they will refresh your soul.
They are like jewels on a necklace.
They keep you safe on your way,
and your feet will not stumble.
Why do you and I need to know wisdom?
- Godly wisdom helps us understand life. – Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. Proverbs 2:9
- Godly wisdom helps us know what to do. – For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe. Proverbs 2:10–11
- Godly wisdom helps us do what’s right. – He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to Him. Proverbs 2:7–8
- Godly wisdom protects us. – Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you. Proverbs 4:6
- Godly wisdom helps us discern between good and evil. – Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose words are twisted. Proverbs 2:12
- Godly wisdom fills the future with hope. – In the same way, wisdom is sweet to your soul. If you find it, you will have a bright future, and your hopes will not be cut short. Proverbs 24:14
- Godly wisdom prevents us from looking for happiness and satisfaction anywhere apart from God. – Wisdom is a tree of life to those who embrace her; happy are those who hold her tightly. Proverbs 3:18
- Godly wisdom keeps what’s important . . . important. –Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5–6
- Godly wisdom helps us manage our finances. – Trust in your money and down you go!
But the godly flourish like leaves in spring. Proverbs 11:28
- Godly wisdom blesses our relationships. – The seeds of good deeds become a tree of life; a wise person wins friends. Proverbs 11:30
- Godly wisdom makes us stronger. – One wise person is stronger than ten leading citizens of a town! Ecclesiastes 7:19
- Godly wisdom is the best way to love yourself. – To acquire wisdom is to love yourself; people who cherish understanding will prosper. Proverbs 19:8
I don’t think of myself as wise.
In fact, I’ve made more than my share of foolish decisions and if you add foolish comments . . . ooh, not wise at all.
But I know the One who is wisdom.
You know it’s kind of funny. Godly wisdom is the opposite of the world’s wisdom.
Stop deceiving yourselves. If you think you are wise by this world’s standards, you need to become a fool to be truly wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness to God. As the Scriptures say,
“He traps the wise in the snare of their own cleverness.” And again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise; He knows they are worthless.” 1 Corinthians 3:18–20
I’m running from worldly wisdom to the One who is true wisdom and is willing and able to bless His children with wisdom that will give them everything they need for today, tomorrow, and always.
Now it’s time for…
Faith ‘n Friends Blog Hop
We’re so glad you’re here!
This is a place to share faith, make friends, and have fun.
@ Faithfully Committed
Thank you, Bree, for joining FnF Blog Hop!
No More Rules Blog Hop
Add 1-2 of your favorite faith/life posts.
Then just make friends and have fun.
We would appreciate it if you would
Grab the Button or link back to the hosts.
*Would you do me a favor — if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone else? Maybe a friend, coworker, or family member…