If asked, could you define your core values?
Okay, maybe we should start by explaining what the phrase”core values” means.
Core values are the fundamental beliefs that help people and organizations make decisions and focus on goals.
Knowing our core values can help us make choices, manage our time more effectively, and balance our careers, family, friends, mission, and free time.
Knowing our core values helps us prioritize our “time, talents, and treasures” making us able to live our purpose more intentionally.
And that’s why I believe…
Knowing and living your core values may be the single most important part of finding your personal satisfaction, happiness, and success.
The Psalmist wrote:
1 Praise the Lord! I will thank the Lord with all my heartPsalm 111
as I meet with His godly people.
2 How amazing are the deeds of the Lord!
All who delight in Him should ponder them.
3 Everything He does reveals His glory and majesty.
His righteousness never fails.
4 He causes us to remember His wonderful works.
How gracious and merciful is our Lord!
5 He gives food to those who fear Him;
He always remembers His covenant.
6 He has shown his great power to His people
by giving them the lands of other nations.
7 All He does is just and good,
and all His commandments are trustworthy.
8 They are forever true,
to be obeyed faithfully and with integrity.
9 He has paid a full ransom for His people.
He has guaranteed his covenant with them forever.
What a holy, awe-inspiring name He has!
10 Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom.
All who obey His commandments will grow in wisdom.
Praise Him forever!
So, let’s take a few minutes to identify our core values…
Core Values List
Here is a random list of possible values. It is in no way complete. So, please feel free to add your own.
1. You’re welcome to print this list (link below) and circle all the words that describe things that are important to you. Values you would like to pass along to your children.
- Adventurous, Authentic, Ambitious, Accurate, Autonomous
- Balanced, Belonging, Believer, Benevolent, Bold
- Compromising, Consistent, Caring, Competitive, Courageous, Creative, Citizenship, Compassionate, Curious
- Dedicated, Determined, Dependable, Daring, Devoted, Diverse, Disciplined
- Educated, Environmental, Empathetic, Efficient, Ethical, Equal
- Faithful, Fearless, Forgiving, Fun, Fair, Focused, Flexible, Family, Friendly, Full of Faith, Famous
- Generous, Grateful, Good, Genuine, Growing, Gentle
- Happiness, Health, Honest, Hopeful, Humble, Helpful,
- Imaginative, Intelligent, Integrity, Independent, Influential, Industrious, Inner Peace and Harmony
- Joyful, Just, Judicious
- Kind, Knowing
- Loving, Loyal, Lasting, Lavish, Leader, Law-abiding, Liberty
- Memorable, Merciful, Meaningful, Manageable, Moderation
- Neat, Noble, Neighborly, Nurturing
- Obedient, Optimistic, Open, Organized, Original, Outstanding
- Professional, Persistent, Polite, Pure, Popular, Passionate, Precise, Pleasure
- Quality, Questioning, Quiet
- Responsible, Recognized, Real, Religious, Respectable, Reliable
- Strong, Stabile, Sacrificial, Status, Simple, Steward, Spiritual, Superior
- Traditional, Truth, Tolerant, Tranquil, Trustworthy, Tough, Thoughtful
- Unique, United, Understanding, Useful
- Virtuous, Valiant, Valuable, Variety, Victorious
- Wise, Watchful, Wealthy, Worshiping, Worthy, Willing
- Youthful, Yielding
- Zealous, Zappy
2. From the words circled select the seven words that are most important to you.
3. From your list of seven, select three words about which you could say, “I am not happy if I am not following these values.” These three words are your core values.
4. The remaining four words on your list are your secondary values.
A Prayer to Know Our Core Values and Live with Integrity
Father, Your Word is filled with counsel intended to guide our core values. You created us and know what it takes for us to live the full lives that You want for us. You promise that if we KNOW, TRUST, and FOLLOW Your will for us, we will experience a full life today and a future filled with hope. (John 10:10 and Ephesians 4:4) The world works overtime trying to distract me with things that are untrustworthy, unimportant, and unstable. And yet, too easily I believe the foolish lies because I fail to build my core foundation on values that matter. Please forgive me.
I pray that You will give me a heart to SEEK You and Your kingdom above everything else. I pray that You will help me focus on things that last and do what matters now. I ask that You will prompt me to “pray about everything.” (Philippians 4:6) To invite Your Spirit’s guidance and direction into every area of my life. Please point me in the direction You want me to go and keep me on the path that leads to life with You forever. I give this day and all my days ahead to You, my Lord and my God. Amen.
Now Use Your Core Values to Make Choices
There is a saying that goes, “If you want to know what a person values look at their calendar and checkbook.” (Today we’d substitute credit card statement for “checkbook.”) So, grab your calendar and credit card bill, and ask yourself, “Does my life reflect the values that are important to me?”
If you’re able to answer, “yes” . . . Congratulations! You are living intentionally.
If not . . . it’s not too late. Keep your list of values close by and use them as you make decisions like:
- Will I take this promotion that requires me to be away from home more?
- Will I say yes to the volunteer position that meets on my only free night?
- Will I say yes to every activity that my child wants to do?
- Will I schedule regular workouts and play more with my kids?
- You get the idea…
Don’t wait to begin making changes. Start today. Apply your core values to your daily choices and find the progress, satisfaction, and joy God wants for you.
Are you ready? What do you think?
May God bless you and guide you as you center your life on all that He wants for you.
Thank you so much for joining me today.
And a thank you to BibleGateway.com for sources.
Subscribe to Counting My Blessings
Join us and receive a copy of The Faith Project & 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning. You’ll connect with thousands of other SEEKers who are being blessed by God’s love, hope, and promises.
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and He will give you everything you need.” Luke 12:31
You can also…
and take a moment to pray for someone else.
If you’d like to read and study the New Testament
in just 5 minutes a day this year head over to
5 Min. A Day N. T. Devotions
And check out our new Facebook Page/Group –
#WWGGG – What Would Give God Glory.
We’d love for you to join the movement!
Always remember – I LOVE hearing from you!
So, please take a minute to say ‘hi’ by leaving a comment.
If this article blessed or helped you today — would you please share it with someone? Send it to a friend, family member, coworker, or share it through the links below…