Rev and I are celebrating our 50th Anniversary on Friday, March 11th.
I can’t believe it! Time really does fly when you’re having fun! I know I don’t feel old enough to have been married that long.
To celebrate, I thought it might be fun to focus on the #50 all week.
Today, I’d like to share 50 things I’ve learned about embracing life . . . simple ways to make every day better.
Rev and I moved to St. Louis just a few months after we were married so he could work at the Seminary where he would begin taking classes in the fall.
My teaching job didn’t start for 10 weeks. In retrospect, I should have looked for a part-time job because sitting alone in our little apartment all day was not good for my mental health or my waistline. I gained 35 lbs. that summer.
Oh, the things I wish I’d known back then…
50 Simple Things to Do that will Make Every Day Better
1. Live in the present – don’t relive the past or worry about the future.
2. Take time for prayer and Bible reading.
3. Ask, seek, and knock for truth and wisdom.
“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7
4. Admit your mistakes and ask for forgiveness.
The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. Psalm 51:17
5. Refuse to participate in gossip.
6. Let go of your need for control.
You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail. Proverbs 19:21
7. Take time to watch the sun as it rises and sets.
8. Use the good dishes . . . find something to celebrate every day.
9. Spend time with friends, do life together.
10. Be your own best cheerleader – God created and loves unique and beautiful you.
Nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:39 (NLT)
11. Live with abundant gratitude.
12. Always tell the truth.
13. Look for something good in everyone.
14. Drink more water.
15. Start each day with a clean slate.
16. Don’t compare yourself or your life with anyone else’s.
17. Keep every promise you make.
It is better to say nothing than to make a promise and not keep it. Ecclesiastes 5:5
18. Know your purpose and set reasonable goals.
19. Eat that Frog – do the hard things first.
20. Stop trying to impress everyone.
21. Make your bed every day.
22. Don’t settle for just okay.
Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Colossians 3:23
23. Do something kind for those who can’t repay you.
24. Be strong and courageous.
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 3:16
25. Be generous with your smile.
26. Notice and enjoy simple pleasures.
27. Talk less and listen more.
28. Forgive quickly.
Bear with each other, and forgive each other. If someone does wrong to you, forgive that person because the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13
29. Say “please” and “thank you” and mean it.
30. Eat to live don’t live to eat.
31. Strive for better, not perfect.
I can do all things through Christ, because He gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 (NCV)
32. Learn something new thing every day.
33. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
34. Ask for help when you need it.
The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust Him, and He helps me. Psalm 28:7
35. Take the stairs . . . add more steps to your day.
36. Don’t waste time complaining.
37. Get rid of clutter and simplify your life.
38. Learn when to say “no” and do it.
39. Donate things you no longer need or use.
40. If you can change it – change it; if you can’t – don’t fret about it.
41. Be stronger than your excuses.
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10
42. Laugh often.
43. Remember baby steps are still steps.
The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Psalm 37:23
44. Savor every moment – each one is a precious gift.
This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad today! Psalm 118:24
45. Do at least one thing just for fun every day.
46. Do everything with great love.
Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love. 1 Corinthians 16:13–14
47. Be yourself – you are uniquely and wonderfully made.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. Psalm 139:14
48. Count your blessings – keep a gratitude journal.
49. Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.” Mark 12:29–30
50. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.
“The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” Mark 12:31
Well, that’s my list, and here’s my prayer…
A Prayer Thanking God for His Grace, Mercy, Love, and Patience
As I Try to Glorify Him and Make Every Day Better
Father, thank you for the wisdom and guidance of Your Word. Thank you for not only wanting me to spend eternity with You but for wanting me to have what I need to make every day better today. I know this list of things will bless my life and I want to live it perfectly but I fail and I ask for Your forgiveness.
Thank you for Your patience and mercy . . . for forgiving me again and again. Thank you for Your grace and love that give me everything I need. Thank you for Jesus, who saves, and for the Spirit, who helps. I want to live with love and make every day better. I want to glorify You in everything I do and say. I trust that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me and in whose name, I pray. Amen.
May God be with you and bless you and give you everything you need to make every day better.
We would love to pray for you.
You can leave your prayer requests here…
and even take a few minutes to pray over the list left by our friends.
Never Miss an Update
Leave your email address and I’ll send you a short email every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to alert you to each new devotion. Plus you’ll receive a copy of 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning
I always enjoy hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi” and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below…