I know it takes strong faith to have big peace . . . especially when life is hard.
But strong faith in anything that isn’t true or able to keep promises might make us feel better but it won’t give you and me real and lasting peace.
Have you ever believed any of the following things and then realized they were untrue?
- It’s easier to avoid my problems than to face them?
- Life should be fair?
- If I feel it, it must be true?
- I can’t help it. It’s just who I am?
- I can’t be happy until..?
I know I have. And there was no peace in avoidance, shoulds, and feelings.
To know “the peace that goes beyond understanding,” you and I have to know and trust the Giver of true peace.
So, I went digging.
Digging to know the Giver better.
Who Does God Say He Is?
And I found 35 “I am” verses. Things God says about Himself because He wants us to know and trust Him. He wants to give us peace.
35 Powerful “I Am” Verses – God Is Who He Says He Is
- “I am El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Genesis 17:1
- “I am the God of your father, Abraham,” He said. “Do not be afraid, for I am with you and will bless you. Genesis 26:24
- “I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you.” Exodus 3:14
- And God said to Moses, “I am Yahweh—‘the Lord.’ Exodus 6:2
- “I am the Lord who heals you.” Exodus 15:26
- “I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery. Exodus 20:2
- “I am merciful.” Exodus 22:27
- “Yahweh! The Lord! The God of compassion and mercy! I am slow to anger and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.” Exodus 34:6
- “If you obey my decrees and my regulations, you will find life through them. I am the Lord.” Leviticus 18:5
- “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” Psalm 46:10
- Therefore, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “Look! I am placing a foundation stone in Jerusalem, a firm and tested stone. It is a precious cornerstone that is safe to build on. Whoever believes need never be shaken. Isaiah 28:16
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10
- “I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to anyone else, nor share my praise with carved idols.” Isaiah 42:8
- I, yes I, am the Lord, and there is no other Savior. First I predicted your rescue, then I saved you and proclaimed it to the world. No foreign god has ever done this. You are witnesses that I am the only God,” says the Lord. Isaiah 43:11-12
- “From eternity to eternity I am God. No one can snatch anyone out of my hand. No one can undo what I have done.” Isaiah 43:13
- This is what the Lord says— your Redeemer and Creator: “I am the Lord, who made all things. I alone stretched out the heavens. Who was with me when I made the earth?” Isaiah 44:24
- “Remember the things I have done in the past. For I alone am God! I am God, and there is none like me.” Isaiah 46:9
- “I, yes I, am the one who comforts you. So why are you afraid of mere humans, who wither like the grass and disappear?” Isaiah 51:12
- “I am a God who is near,” says the Lord. “I am also a God who is far away. No one can hide where I cannot see him,” says the Lord. “I fill all of heaven and earth,” says the Lord. Jeremiah 23:23-24
- “For I am the Lord! If I say it, it will happen.” Ezekiel 12:25
- “I am the Lord, and I do not change.” Malachi 3:6
- Jesus answered, “I am. And in the future, you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of God, the Powerful One, and coming on clouds in the sky.” Mark 14:62
- Then Jesus said, “I am He [the Messiah]—I, the one talking to you.” John 4:26
- “I am the bread that gives life.” John 6:48
- “I am the light of the world. The person who follows me will never live in darkness but will have the light that gives life.” John 8:12
- Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!” John 8:58
- “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives his life for the sheep.” John 10:11
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me will have life even if they die. John 11:25
- Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. The only way to the Father is through me.” John 14:6
- “Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or believe because of the miracles I have done.” John 14:11
- The Lord God says, “I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the One who is and was and is coming. I am the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8
- “I am the One who lives; I was dead, but look, I am alive forever and ever!” Revelation 1:18
- “I am coming soon. Continue strong in your faith so no one will take away your crown.” Revelation 3:11
- The One who was sitting on the throne said, “Look! I am making everything new!” Then He said, “Write this, because these words are true and can be trusted.” Revelation 21:5
- Jesus, the One who says these things are true, says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! Revelation 22:20
I’m saving this list so I can reject peace robbers and lies by comparing them to the truth.
It overwhelms me to realize God wants us to know Him . . . not just about Him but know Him. His character. His desires. His commands. His heart.
You and I can trust God is who He says He is. And that is a blessing that gives peace . . . the kind of peace that goes beyond understanding.
Thank you so much for joining me today.
And a thank you to BibleGateway.com for sources.
Take a moment to subscribe to Counting My Blessings and join more than 7500 of us as we read the New Testament together. We will share short posts every Monday through Friday that you can read each day or save for the weekend. Let’s study God’s Word together!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
You can also…
Leave your prayer requests…
and stop to pray one or two of the requests listed.
I’m so excited to tell you about my new book!
No matter what a busy week may throw your way, God is with you in every moment. Take a breath and find peace in Him with the 52-Week Devotional Journal for Women, a weekly devotional full of Scripture passages, unique insights, and journal prompts. Strengthen and deepen your relationship with God as you focus on faith over the course of the year.
Get your copy here!
Check out our new Facebook Page/Group – #WWGGG – What Would Give God Glory. We’d love for you to join the movement!
And always remember – I LOVE hearing from you! So, please take a minute to say ‘hi’ by leaving a comment.
If this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Send it to a friend, family member, coworker, or share it through the links below…
I’m asking God to bless you today!