What exactly is a prayer-life anyway?
Simply put – it is the private practice of prayer in your life.
So, how’s your prayer life?
Too often the answer is:
- I know I should pray more.
- I just don’t have enough time.
- I feel like my prayers stop at the ceiling.
- I don’t know what to pray.
- I wonder if my prayers matter.
If you’re like me, you want life in your prayer life. You want to have more meaningful prayer more often.
People started praying to God in Genesis 4 – Seth also had a son, and they named him Enosh. At that time, people began to pray to the Lord. v. 26
I sometimes wonder about that time between Garden banishment and the beginning of prayer. Between walking and talking with God and crying out to Him.
Genesis 5 says Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born, and Seth was 105 years old when Enosh was born. 235 years of silence.
We don’t really know what caused them to start praying but people started praying and God heard…
Don’t you love that? God heard!
Look at this promise from Psalm 66:
But God has listened;
He has heard my prayer.
who did not ignore my prayer
or hold back His love from me. v. 19–20
God listens. He hears.
Ways to Put More Life in Your Prayer Life
- Change your attitude – Think of prayer as a “get to” not a “have to” or “should.”
- Ask God to grow and bless your relationship with Him through prayer – Pray about your prayer life. Remember God hears and will not hold back.
- Commit to pray every day – Start small . . . grab your journal and commit to 5 minutes.
- Start with praise and thanksgiving – One sentence thanking God for who He is and what He does.
- Keep it simple – Tell Him what’s on your heart and mind. You don’t need to know theology or use big religious words. In fact, I think it’s better if you don’t. You’re not trying to impress Him you’re praying.
- Pray in the shower – I have a friend who did her confessing and repenting in the shower – and then pictured God washing her sins down the drain. Then she prayed about putting on God’s armor while getting dressed. How cool is that? Something to pray with your little ones.
- Pray Scripture – Open to a Psalm and pray it back to God. Thank Him for a specific promise. Or even pray – “Father, I do believe. Please help my unbelief.” Mark 9:24
- Keep a list of things you want to pray – Have a paper and pen close by and jot down things you want to remember to pray if you don’t have time then. But…you don’t have to wait.
- Stop and pray when you see a need – Pray for a friend or family member, for yourself or even a stranger right away. (As soon as you see a post on social media or pass a stranger in the store. When someone cuts you off in traffic or you see a homeless person on the street . . . pray.)
- Pray with your children – While you’re picking up toys, before a meal, in the car, and when you tuck them in at night. Their simple child-like prayers will bless your heart.
- Pray while you’re doing chores – Pray for your family while doing laundry or cleaning up the kitchen. Sing praise while vacuuming or cleaning the bathroom. It beats grumbling!
- Joy, Junk, and Jesus – 3 simple questions to ask and answer with your family. Questions that will help you grow closer to one another as you pray together and for the good, the bad, and the blessings of life.
I’ve learned so much this month, but these 3 things stand out:
When it comes to your prayer life…
#1 JUST PRAY!
The more I have made prayer my focus, not reading about it or talking about it but actually doing it . . . the more I’ve looked forward to spending time in prayer.
Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. Luke 18:1
Pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Ephesians 6:18
#2 Be Yourself!
God hears your prayers. He knows your heart. He loves YOU!
For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10
#3 Trust God’s Love!
Pray in His will. Pray for His will to be done. You can trust His love for you. He sees the beginning from the end. He wants and knows how to accomplish what is best for your life.
Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:17–19
Four months into The Faith Project! Wow! What a blessed adventure.
If you’d like to see everything connected with this project visit The Faith Project Board on Pinterest.
Thank you so much for joining me today.
And a thank you to BibleGateway.com for sources.
Subscribe to Counting My Blessings
Join us and receive a copy of The Faith Project & 30 Ways to Bless Your Marriage and Keep the Spark Burning. You’ll connect with thousands of other SEEKers who are being blessed by God’s love, hope, and promises.
“Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and He will give you everything you need.” Luke 12:31
You can also…
and take a moment to pray for someone else.
If you’d like to read and study the New Testament
in just 5 minutes a day this year head over to
5 Min. A Day N. T. Devotions
And check out our new Facebook Page/Group –
#WWGGG – What Would Give God Glory.
We’d love for you to join the movement!
Always remember – I LOVE hearing from you!
So, please take a minute to say ‘hi’ by leaving a comment.
If this article blessed or helped you today — would you please share it with someone? Send it to a friend, family member, coworker, or share it through the links below…