The schools in our area started a couple of weeks ago. For many of you school will start this week or next. With new routines and adapting to differing schedules . . . I thought it might be a good idea to share my favorite tips for beginning each day in ways that offer less stress and more happiness.
Do you wake up in the morning with a groan wishing you could stay in bed a few more hours?
If you’re a morning person you may be doing many of these things already. I’d like to be a morning person, an afternoon person, and an evening person . . . at least with my attitude.
This ten step plan helps. It promises to give more energy and an improved attitude.
The 10 Best Ways to Start the Day Positively
1) Turn your alarm off gently – Don’t throw it across the room. Then remind yourself…
This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24
2) Pull the covers up over your head – No kidding. It’s a really great way to stretch, get your blood moving, and it will be easier on your back when you make your bed. Get ready to face the day.
“Success is due to our stretching to the challenges of life. Failure comes when we shrink from them.” ~John C. Maxwell
3) Make your bed – Right away. It is so much harder to come back to it later, and you’re standing right there anyway!
“If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed.” ~U.S. Navy Adm. William H. McCraven quote to graduates of his alma mater.
4) Brush your teeth – Think through your day with a plan to speak only positive kind words.
“Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.” ~Kahlil Gibran
5) Take a bath or shower – Use the time to repent of sins from the previous day, and watch as the Lord washes them down the drain. Praise Him for the gift of forgiveness.
But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of forgiveness to many through this other man, Jesus Christ. Romans 5:15
6) Get dressed – In the outfit you laid out the night before, with all of its accessories as well, to save on time and frustration . . . while you get dressed imagine that you are putting on the armor of God.
Belt of Truth. Breastplate of Righteousness. Shield of Faith. Helmet of Salvation. Sword of the Spirit. Ephesians 6:13-18
7) Eat breakfast – I am often guilty of grabbing a cup of coffee and running out the door. But I recently discovered if you add baking mix to your oatmeal it makes a muffin.
1/3 Cup Oatmeal
1 Tbsp Baking Mix – like Bisquick
Cover with Milk
Mix and add flavor of your choice.
(1/3 banana, 2 tsp. peanut butter or Nutella, blueberries, nuts, etc.)
Microwave for 1 minute.
8) Carry Scripture with you – Grab your Bible, download an app on your phone, or print verses on cards. A great way to memorize your favorite verses while you’re stuck in a line or traffic.
I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11
9) Listen to praise music – There are many music choices and radio stations that vie for our attention but my day is better when I begin with praise and worship, singing along, and making a “joyful noise” to the King of kings.
Shout to the Lord, all the earth; break out in praise and sing for joy! Psalm 98:4
10) Arrive at your destination with a fresh outlook and a cleansed attitude – Woo Hoo!
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
Would you consider becoming my accountability buddy?
Working together to start our days positively carrying His truth and kindness with us to work, school, and maybe even blessing the people with whom we live.
“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your Creator, another golden opportunity…” ~Og Mandino
Photo Credit – BossFight.com